Cuban Rice and Beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 whole bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro -- chopped
- 6 tablespoons rice
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Chop onion, pepper and cilantro, mince garlic.
- In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil on medium, cook onion, pepper and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans and add to saucepan with cumin and broth. (Vegetable, chicken or beef broth all work.) Cook until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve over rice.
Serving Size : 2