- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 clove garlic -- minced
- 1/2 diced red bell pepper
- 4 green onions -- sliced
- 2 large roma tomatoes -- diced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper -- ground
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium carrot -- finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stir couscous into boiling water and return water to a boil. Cover and remove pot from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. (If couscous package calls for 2 cups of water, that works too.)
- While the couscous is cooking, heat oil (or use a little bit of cooking spray) in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, green onions and peppers; saute briefly. Stir in tomatoes, basil, cooked couscous, carrots, salt and pepper.
- Mix together and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Splash some balsamic vinegar on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese while still warm.
Per Serving: 247 Calories; 5g Fat (19.7% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 147mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.