Dumb LawsThis is a collection of odd, silly and just plain outdated laws collected from various sources on the 'net.
- Putting Salt on railroad tracks is illegal in Alabama.
- Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
- It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesday.
- In Anniston, Alabama you may not wear blue jeans down Noble Street.
- In Alabama, boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
- In Jasper, it is illegal for a husband to beat his wife with a stick larger than the diameter of his thumb.
- It is illegal to stake a horse on a highway.
- Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- The Arkansas legislature passed a law that states that the Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.
- In Little Rock, dogs may not bark after 6 PM.
- In Little Rock, it is unlawful to walk one's cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.
- In Calgary there is a by-law that is still on the books that requires businesses within the city to provide rails for tying up horses.
- In British Columbia, it's illegal to kill a sasquatch.
- In Oshawa, Ontario, it's illegal to climb trees.
- In Prunedale, CA, it is illegal to have two indoor bathtubs in your house.
- In 1930, the City Council of Ontario passed an ordinance forbidding roosters to crow within the city limits.
- In Blythe, CA, it's illegal to wear cowboy boots unless you own at least two cows.
- In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
- In Baldwin Park, CA, it's illegal to ride a bike in a swimming pool.
- A Glendale, California, ordinance permits horror films to be shown only on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays.
- It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time.
- In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- In Carmel, CA, it is illegal to eat ice cream while standing on the side walk.
- In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap.
- In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.
- In Colorado, one may not mutilate a rock in a state park.
- In Alamosa, Colorado, throwing missles at cars is illegal.
- In Pueblo, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within the city limits.
- In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
- In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle in Connecticut, it must bounce.
- In Hartford, Conn., you aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
- In the England it is illegal to sell most goods on a sunday, (this law is mostly ignored), it is however legal to sell a carrot. It is also legal to sell it at any price and to give free gifts with it, such as anything else one might want to buy on a sunday!
- London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
- Mince pies can not be eaten on Christmas day.
- Those wishing to use a television must buy a license.
- It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
- In Seaside, all houses much have white picket fences and full-width, two-story porches.
- In Miami, it's illegal for men to be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
- In Daytona Beach, owning a flower pot with water in it that isn't capable of draining is considered a public nuisance.
- In Palm Bay, persons may not tow a sled behind their bicycles.
- In Satellite Beach, persons may not appear in public clothed in liquid latex.
- In Gainesville, GA, chicken must be eaten with the hands.
- In Dublin, cars may not be driven through playgrounds.
- In Conyers, one may not place a dead bird on a neighbor's lawn.
- It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro, Georgia.
- Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
- In Pocatello, Idaho, a law passed in 1912 provided that "The carrying of concealed weapons is forbidden, unless same are exhibited to public view."
- It is against the law for a monster to enter the corporate limits of Urbana, Illinois.
- Cicero, Illinois, prohibits humming on public streets on Sundays.
- Kirkland, Illinois, law forbids bees to fly over the village or through any of its streets.
- In Zion, Ill., it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
- Back in 1924, a monkey was convicted in South Bend of the crime of smoking a cigarette and sentenced to pay a 25 dollar fine and the trial costs.
- In Gary, Ind., persons are prohibited from attending a movie house or other theater and from riding a public streetcar within four hours of eating garlic.
- In Indiana, it's illegal to bathe between October and March.
- Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown, Iowa.
- In Ottumwa, Iowa, "It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unaquainted."
- In Iowa, it's illegal for a kiss to last longer than 5 minutes.
- Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights.
- In Russell, Kansas, it is against the law to have a musical car horn.
- No one may catch fish with his bare hands in Kansas.
- Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's tie.
- In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.
- A Kentucky statute says: "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she is escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club." Later, an amendment proposed: "The provisions of this statute shall not apply to any female weighing less than ninety pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds; nor shall it apply to female horses."
- In Kentucky, it's LEGAL for a wife to put castor oil in her husband's booze. (to keep him from drinking)
- In Louisville, Kentucky, it's prohibited to catch fish with a bow & arrow.
- In Kentucky, it's illegal to fire a gun that's not loaded
- After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up.
- In Maine, it's illegal for a police officer to arrest a dead man.
- Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.
- In Maine, you may not step out of a plane in flight.
- In order to get a burger cooked any rarer than well-done, e.g., medium, medium-rare, etc., you have to sign a waiver. Otherwise, Maryland restaurants and eateries are required to cook meat so there is no pink inside
- Loins may not be taken to the theater in Maryland.
- There is a Massachusetts law requiring all dogs to have their hind legs tied during the month of April.
- It is illegal to take more than 2 baths a month within Boston confines.
- In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.
- There is a 10 cent bounty for each rat's head brought into a town office.
- In Elmira, Michigan, it's against the law for a "fleshy" woman to ride a horse to church on Sunday.
- An old law in Sturgis, Michigan, states that a large woman isn't allowed to use "handbills" as a means of advertising for a spouse.
- In Clawson, there is a law that makes it LEGAL for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.
- In Wayland, anyone can keep their cow on Main Street downtown at a cost of 3 cents per day.
- In Detroit, couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
- In Kalamazoo, Michigan, a male is not allowed to serenade a female.
- In Rochester, all bathing suits must have been inspected by the head of police.
- In Detroit, Michigan, you're not allowed to tie a crocodile to a fire hydrant.
- In Harper Woods, it is illegal to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets.
- In Detroit, it is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday.
- In Grand Haven, Michigan, no person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five- dollar fine for each offense.
- It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house.
- In Natchez, Mississippi, elephants are prohibited from guzzling beer.
- In Columnbus, Mississippi, the fine for waving a gun in public is higher than actually shooting it.
- In Tylertown, it is unlawful to shave in the center of main street.
- Private citizens may personally arrest any person that disturbs a church service.
- A man may not seduce a woman by lying, and claiming he will marry her.
- Minors in Kansas City, Missouri, are not allowed to purchase cap pistols; they may buy shotguns freely, however.
- It's illegal, in Missouri, for uncage bears to ride in a car.
- In St. Louis, it's illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.
- It's illegal in Waterloo, Neb., for barbers to eat onions between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- It is Illegal to go whale fishing.
- In Lehigh, doughnut holes may not be sold.
- In Crawford, heavy women who happen to be single, widowed, or divorced are banned from parachuting on Sunday.
- In Nevada, it's illegal to drive a camel.
- In Eureka, Nevada, a man who has a mustache connot legally kiss a woman
- New Hampshire law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.
- On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.
- In White Mountain National Forest, if a person is caught raking the beaches, picking up litter, hauling away trash, building a bench for the park, or many other kind things without a permit, he/she may be fined $150 for ''maintaining the national forest without a permit''.
- To keep any of the incarcerated beast from picking up bad habits, the town of Manville , NJ decreed that it is illegal to feed whiskey or offer cigarettes to animals at the local zoo.
- In Trenton, N.J., eating pickles on Sunday is illegal.
- In Carrizozo, N.M., it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).
- In New Mexico, state officials ordered 400 words of "sexually explicit material" to be cut from Romeo and Juliet.
- It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
- You may water your lawn on Staten Island, New York, provided that you hold the hose in your hand while doing so; but to lay a hose on the lawn or to use a sprinkler for watering your lawn is unlawful.
- In Greene, New York, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks when a concert is on.
- In the state of New York, you need a license to use a clothesline outdoors.
- In New York City, a woman CAN go topless on the street -- as long as it's not for business.
- In Carmel, N.Y., a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
- It is against the law in this state to use elephants to plow cotton fields!
- Persons in possession of illegal substances must pay taxes on them. However, paying taxes on these items does not make them legal.
- In North Carolina, a bingo game may not last over 5 hours unless it is held at a fair.
- If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.
- All couples staying overnight in a hotel must have a room with double beds that are at least two feet apart. Making love in the space between the beds is strictly forbidden.
- In Charlotte, women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times.
- In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.
- In Piqua, Ohio, it's illegal to take a bath before 10 pm.
- In Canton, Ohio, it's illegal to own a bathtub.
- In Bexley, Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses.
- In Eastlake, Ohio, it's illegal to molest a dog.
- Clinton County, Ohio, calls for a fine for anyone caught leaning against a public building.
- In Oxford, Ohio, it's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.
- Hunting whales on Sunday is illegal in Ohio.
- In Tulsa, Oklahoma, it is against the law to open a soda bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer.
- This state forbids a person from taking a bite out of another person's hamburger.
- Harthahorne City Ordinance, Section 363, states that it shall be unlawful to put any hypnotized person in a display window.
- One may not bathe without wearing "suitable clothing," which means that which covers one's body from neck to knee.
- In Oregon, ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
- In Portland, persons may not pass through a "traffic congestion thoroughfare" more than twice per night.
- In Oregon, it is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.
- In Portland, it's against the law for a wedding ceremony to be performed at a skating rink.
- In Yamhill, it is illegal to predict the future.
- In Portland, riders of sleds may not attach themselves to passing cars.
- In Marion, ministers are forbidden from eating garlic or onions before delivering a sermon.
- In Corvallis, Oregon, it's illegal for women to drink coffee after 6 pm.
- Canned corn is not to be used as bait for fishing.
- In Hood River, Oregon, juggling is strictly prohibited without a license.
- In Oregon, dishes must drip dry.
- The state law of Pennsylvania prohibits singing in the bathtub.
- In certain sections of Pennsylvania many years ago, the Farmer's Anti-Automobile society set up some "rules of the road." In effect, they said:
- "Automobiles travelling on country roads at night must send up a rocket every mile, then wait ten minutes for the road to clear."
- "If a driver sees a team of horses, he is to pull to one side of the road and cover his machine with a blanket or dust cover that has been painted to blend into the scenery."
- "In the event that a horse refuses to pass a car on the road, the owner must take his car apart and conceal the parts in the bushes."
- In Morrisville, PA, a woman must have a permit to wear cosmetics.
- In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.
- In Memphis, Tenn., it's illegal for frogs to croak after 11 p.m.
- In Tennessee, it is illegal to shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.
- If you sell hollow logs in Tennessee, you are breaking the law.
- It is Texas law that when two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
- In Waco, Texas it is illegal to walk around with a concealed ice cream cone.
- Texas law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.
- Abilene, Texas, makes it illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing.
- In LeFors, Texas, it's illegal to take more than three swallows of beer while standing.
- It is against the law to fish from horseback.
- It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon. You can have them, but you just can't detonate them.
- In Trout Creek, pharmacists may not sell gunpowder to cure headaches.
- In Salt Lake County, no one may walk down the street carrying a paper bag containing a violin.
- Birds have the right of way on all highways.
- It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.
- Virginia law forbids bathtubs in the house; tubs must be kept in the yard.
- It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for the coffee in Richmond, VA.
- No animal may be hunted for on Sunday with the exception of raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 AM.
- In Culpeper, no one may wash a mule on the sidewalk.
- In Prince William County, no person may keep a skunk as a pet.
- Hunting with a rifle is permitted in Norfolk County, Virgina - provided that the hunter is fifteen feet off the ground.
- In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.
- It's illegal in Wilbur, Washington, to ride an ugly horse.
- The state of Washington has passed a law stating it is illegal to paint polka dots on the American flag.
- There is/was a law on the books in Washington state that stated that a motorcar driven at night must be preceded by something like 100 yards by a man carrying a lantern.
- Unmarried couple who live together and "lewdly associate" with one another may face up to a year in prison.
- A person may not hold public office if he or she has ever participated in a duel. Roadkill may be taken home for supper.
- In Alderson, one may not walk a lion, tiger or leopard, even on a leash.
- No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
- In Nicholas County, W. Va., no member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.