Tomato Soup with Fresh Herbs
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion -- chopped
- 2 cloves garlic -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil -- chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme -- chopped
- 5 cups fresh tomatoes -- diced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano or basil and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato paste and sugar. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes. Using immersion blender, process until smooth.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.
Per serving: 119 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 296mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates