Quick and Simple "Recipes" from the Freezer
Here are some ideas for those nights when you just don't have time to cook.
- Frozen veggie burgers are great! Serve it on a whole wheat bun with a side salad for a quick meal. Try Gardenburgers, Boca Burgers or anything from Morningstar Farms. I really like some of the "grilled" burgers!
- For a great after school snack, freeze a mixture of half orange juice and half vanilla yogurt in popsicle molds. Try it with Minute Maid Country Style brand with calcium added.
- Black Bean Wraps: Use a black bean frozen patty (look for these near the Gardenburgers and Boca Burgers) and cut it into strips after it has been heated. Add the strips to a tortilla, top with tomatoes, lettuce, onion or olives. Wrap and serve with sour cream, guacamole or salsa.
- Stir Fry is quick when you have the veggies ready to go. There are several frozen packs that are great for this including the Basil Herb Primavera from Birds Eye. Add some tofu or edamame and rice and you've got a full meal.
- Peach smoothy: You can buy large bags of frozen peaches, already peeled and sliced. Throw some of these in the blender with a few ice cubes, add a bit of soy milk, creamer or vanilla extract and blend. Mmmmmmmmm!
- Frozen waffles: Eggo makes a low-fat whole-wheat waffle that is pretty good. Toast and top with bananas, peanut butter or maybe some syrup.